New project, robotlegs 1.5.2 or 2.0?

mjean

13 Sep, 2012 05:22 PM

I am starting a new project which will be for internal company use and I would like to use robotlegs. I have used 1.5.2 in previous projects, and I have been looking into version 2.0. My concern is I do not want to be 3 months into the project and decide to re-factor using 2.0. Does anyone have an opinion on adopting version 2.0 for a project at this time? Or an estimate on the complexity of work involved in re-factoring 1.5.2 code base to 2.0?

Thanks

1. 1 Posted by Stray on 13 Sep, 2012 06:03 PM

Hi there,

Till and I are going to be spending some time together in the first week of October, which will result in final changes to the injector API.

The current RL2 code base can be considered to be 'stable' in that we only anticipate minor changes at this point - bug fixes and so on. If your project is going to be of more than a few weeks, I'd definitely recommend RL2, and we will support you with any refactoring if there's an API updates between now and 1.0.

This advices presumes that you'll be TDDing your project. If you're flying test-free then I'd be more concerned about the refactoring.

hth,

Stray

2. 2 Posted by Michal Wroblews... on 13 Sep, 2012 10:32 PM

Hi,
    I'm using RL 2 now for all my projects (mainly games). Really enjoyed it. You may miss some RL 1 extensions, but some essetial ones like Signals are already ported to RL 2. I also refactored one project from 1.5.2 to 2.0. Quite seamless, removed RL1 sources, added RL2, updated imports, remapped objects due to new injector syntax and it was cool. Didn't try RL 2 with Flex, auto-mediation or modularity, but it's tested.
    Cheers and enjoy RL2
    Michal

3. 3 Posted by Chris on 13 Sep, 2012 11:39 PM

What is the issue with using RL 2 with Flex, auto-mediation and modularity?

4. 4 Posted by Michal Wroblews... on 13 Sep, 2012 11:50 PM

No, there's no issue. I just wanted to note that I didn't use those features in RL2 so far

5. 5 Posted by mjean on 14 Sep, 2012 02:29 PM

Thank you for all the responses, I appreciate it. I have decided to start the project with 2.0. Parsley is the currently approved framework to use here, so I am expecting some interesting and lively debates in the near future. Two frameworks enter, one framework...

6. Ondina D.F. closed this discussion on 17 Sep, 2012 10:15 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac