RobotLegs Performance with Stage3D

rob

23 Dec, 2011 09:22 PM

I'm working on a project for a touchscreen which will be done using Stage3D. The project is kind of like a giant RSS reader so I was hoping to use an MVC setup to keep things nice and tidy since there will be a bunch of different services and models.

I've been going back and forth on whether or not I should roll my own MVC or if I should use RL to make my life a little easier. The app will need to do a lot of rectangle packing which is already computationally expensive and it will, at times, need to keep track of thousands of items in space.

I have it worked out in my head so that I only plan to work with a very small number of mediators (less than 10) so I'm not too concerned about auto-mediation slowing me down (though I will be turning it off just to be safe). Beyond that I'm trying to figure out what are the other bottlenecks that you guys would predict for a project like this and if you think RL would be a good tool to use on it? What is the performance loss associated with the describeType call that occurs with every Inject tag and would that be another place where I could write boilerplate to speed things up a bit?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Shaun Smith on 24 Dec, 2011 03:11 PM

Stage3D mitigates the performance impact of auto-mediation. Turning auto-mediation off only helps for apps where hundreds (or thousands) of Display Objects are landing on the Stage each frame, which is usually a sign that things are wrong with the design of the application. Using Stage3D, or blitting game objects into a single Display Object, prevents this scenario.

Similarly, the performance impact of describeType/Inject is only an issue if you are injecting/instantiating hundreds of instances per frame, and again that's a sign of poor application design. One thing to check is that you're not firing off tons of commands per frame.

Robotlegs sounds like a good fit for your application if you bear the above in mind.

2. 2 Posted by rob on 24 Dec, 2011 09:22 PM

Awesome, thanks for the feedback Shaun!

3. Ondina D.F. closed this discussion on 31 Dec, 2011 09:38 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac