Unit Testing

Eli Atlas

27 Dec, 2011 03:38 PM

Hi Guys

I am wondering what is the best practice for testing the mediators and the views of the application.
For now I saw a couple of solutions and was wondering if there is a better way.

The ones I saw are Flex Monkey, http://www.riatest.com/ and QuickTest which seems to be old.

Thanks!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Joel Hooks on 27 Dec, 2011 04:07 PM

Your mediators should have a singular purpose, which is routing messages from and to the view. This makes them relatively easy to test. My personal favorite way to approach testing mediators is to inject the view as an interface. IMyView is extremely easy to use for testing. I just make a TestingMyView that implements IMyView and then make sure that the mediator is able to listen for events and applies the appropriate API to the view in response to the events.

Testing actual views is a different story. The tools you mention are functional testing tools, so they won't be much help with unit testing. Functional testing is an important aspect of the overall testing strategy, but it is much higher level than testing small units.

2. 2 Posted by Eli Atlas on 27 Dec, 2011 04:12 PM

Joel thanks for the fast reply!
    I actually meant both things, sorry that I was not clear enough.
    I get your point about the mediators, I think you explanation is clear enough.

What do you think about the tools I mentioned, in context of functional testing?
    Are they any good?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Joel Hooks on 29 Dec, 2011 06:13 PM

Flex Monkey and RiaTest are both very usable. Great additions to any testing strategy.

4. Ondina D.F. closed this discussion on 02 Feb, 2012 10:39 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac