examples of desktop app for Adobe AIR newbie

kimcity

14 Jan, 2012 06:33 AM

this is a repost of another discussion. for some reason the discussion was not showing up in my account hence the repost.

Hi

new to Adobe Flex and AIR.

i want to build a desktop application that runs in Windows and Mac OSX.

after evaluating Titanium and Adobe AIR, I am now inclined to use Adobe AIR.

I have a Flash Builder 4.6 Standard installed.

I know web programming, PHP, MySQL, jQuery, Javascript. I don't mind learning Actionscript and Flex.

Happened to see @jamespolanco powerpoint presentation about building Adobe AIR desktop applications. Over Twitter he recommended RobotLegs.

Now that I am here, I need to ask

1) does RobotLegs allow me to use Flash Builder 4.6 Standard to build a desktop application?

2) any desktop app examples? I need an example at the same level of complexity as the Flickr example, but that example appears to be SWF and not Desktop App.

if I get positive answers for the above, I will immediately buy the Oreilly book and start experimenting with RobotLegs.

I am a newbie to Adobe AIR, but not a newbie to programming in general.

Already I am quite impressed that unit testing is part of the RobotLegs framework.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ondina D.F. on 14 Jan, 2012 10:21 AM

Hi

this is a repost of another discussion. for some reason the discussion was not showing up in my account hence the repost.

Your mail got stuck in the forum’s spam filter, as it happens with other posts as well from time to time, for some reason. I restored your post (first thing I did after I woke up this morning)
    Sorry for the inconvenience:)

As soon as I get the time I’ll answer your questions in more detail, but for now the short answer:
    You can use robotlegs with any version of Flex.

Examples are here:
    https://github.com/robotlegs/robotlegs-demos-Bundle

and here:

http://knowledge.robotlegs.org/discussions/examples/6-links-to-robo...

I can’t tell you right now which ones are AIR specific, but in fact any Flex example can be converted to AIR ( more about this later)

Until later:)
    Ondina

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Ondina D.F. on 14 Jan, 2012 10:38 AM

..of course, other opinions are welcome as well!!

3. 3 Posted by kimcity on 14 Jan, 2012 11:30 AM

Thank you Ondina.

This is what I understand so far.

Flash and AIR are runtime environment.

The Flash runtime is for web app.
    AIR runtime is for desktop or mobile app.

Flex is the Adobe framework to develop desktop, mobile or web app.

In Flex, there are 2 ways to build an app.

1) HTML + CSS + Javascript
    2) ActionScript

as far as I can see RobotLegs is the 2nd way.

The examples i see in the bundle appear to be meant for just web app.

Of course, possibly because we are using Flex, any webapp code can be coverted into a desktop app.

Having done plenty of web programming, i know that the devil is in the details.

Would be great if I can have just 1 simple example of a desktop app rather than a webapp that I would have to then convert.

My questions are:

1) a straight forward example of a desktop app that runs in windows AND mac osx built on RobotLegs

if not, then can you guide me as to how to convert the Flickr App to a desktop version?

2) so far are there any gaps or mistakes of my understanding of Adobe environment?

3) the oreilly book on robotlegs... does it have good information on desktop app for me to build?

Thank you.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Ondina D.F. on 14 Jan, 2012 12:03 PM

I’ll do the best I can to give you an answer to all your questions within the next few hours, at the latest by the end of the day. o.k.? :)

5. 5 Posted by kimcity on 14 Jan, 2012 12:19 PM

Sure.

Thank you, Ondina :)

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Ondina D.F. on 14 Jan, 2012 04:23 PM

new to Adobe Flex and AIR. I know web programming, PHP, MySQL, jQuery, Javascript. I don't mind learning Actionscript and Flex.

Usually, such a statement would trigger a reaction like this:
    “This is a support forum for Robotlegs. Questions about getting started with as3, Flex, AIR are off topic.”
    However, many members of our (great) community are willing to help each other even with issues that are beyond the scope of the framework. But you have to be aware of the fact that not all such questions can or will be answered. I had to say that, because I don’t want to raise false hopes :)

Another common reaction to a situation like yours, is to say “Learn AS3 and Flex first.”
    In my opinion learning as3+Flex+ [architecture guidelines, best practices (design patterns, tests), and a good micro-architecture framework] concomitantly, is actually the best way to go about a new language or development platform. When I started learning Flex, none of the examples available were using a micro-architecture framework, and that wasn’t beneficial at all.

I have a feeling that you are familiar with design patterns already (from js or php), so, I think, it won’t be that difficult for you to understand robotlegs’ MVC(S).

I’ll provide links to the documentation at the end of the post.

does RobotLegs allow me to use Flash Builder 4.6 Standard to build a desktop application?

Yes.

In Flex, there are 2 ways to build an app. 1) HTML + CSS + Javascript
    2) ActionScript
    as far as I can see RobotLegs is the 2nd way.

Yes, Robotlegs is for as3 only.

a straight forward example of a desktop app that runs in windows AND mac osx built on RobotLegs

There are some AIR applications among the 170 listed (see link from previous post). Search for AIR and you’ll find them.

if not, then can you guide me as to how to convert the Flickr App to a desktop version?

You can let FlashBuilder convert a Flex application to AIR:

-In the Package Explorer right click on the Project

-choose Add/Change Project type from the context menu

-choose Convert to Flex Desktop Project (runs in AIR)

Let me know how it goes.
    In case FlashBuilder doesn’t play nice with your project: http://knowledge.robotlegs.org/discussions/solutions/13-some-flashb...

so far are there any gaps or mistakes of my understanding of Adobe environment?

You are on the right track.

the oreilly book on robotlegs... does it have good information on desktop app for me to build? Joel’s example is an AIR application (Flex4+ )

There is nothing specific to building an AIR app in the book.

From the book:
    “This book is not for developers who are brand new to object-oriented programming.
    It assumes some understanding of classes, interfaces and inheritance as implemented
    in AS3. It is not a quick reference guide to the Robotlegs API”

Nevertheless, I encourage you to read it.
    I also encourage you to read all the documentation available about robotlegs and to look at as many examples as possible.
    Play around with the demos and examples, even if they aren't AIR apps!!!
    Take your time with them. Watch presentations and videos (see the 170 list)
    Read as many discussions on this forum as you can.
    Even if you won’t understand much at first, it will give you an idea of how things are supposed to work. Don’t get discouraged after a few days of trying! I know, you are eager to get started as soon as possible, but [ ] <- fill in the blank with your preferred saying about patience :)

The promised links (I’m sure you’ve seen some of them already):

-Best Practices:

https://github.com/robotlegs/robotlegs-framework/wiki/Best-Practices

-Common Problems:

https://github.com/robotlegs/robotlegs-framework/wiki/Common-Problems

-Examples - source code

https://github.com/robotlegs/robotlegs-demos-Bundle

-Live demos:

http://www.robotlegs.org/examples/

-Joel’s tutorials (An Introduction to Robotlegs AS3 Part 1, 2,3) and other rl examples:

http://joelhooks.com/2011/03/12/an-introduction-to-robotlegs-as3-pa...

http://joelhooks.com

Hopefully, your questions have been answered, so far:)

Have fun!
    Ondina

7. 7 Posted by kimcity on 14 Jan, 2012 04:34 PM

This is an excellent, excellent answer.

you have comprehensively answered all my questions thus far.

I have a very good feeling in choosing RobotLegs given that you emphasized on unit testing and this prompt and complete support for a free framework.

Thank you very much, Ondina!

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Ondina D.F. on 14 Jan, 2012 05:01 PM

Thank you for the kind words:)
    I’m really glad it was helpful to you!

Oh, and concerning robotlegs: the more you'll use Robotlegs, the more you'll like it. There is no way around it ;)

Cheers
    Ondina

9. Ondina D.F. closed this discussion on 02 Feb, 2012 11:10 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac