RL and mobile application development

Steve

01 Apr, 2012 01:22 AM

Hi all -

This is my first post to the RL support forums. I have been developing in Flex 4 and AS3 for about a year and a half. I've been using RL for more than a year in a single application context manner. It's a fantastic framework and I'm eager to work with RL2.

I am completely new to mobile application development in general, and I ran across an article by Jonathan Campos on Adobe Edge dated March 2011 and titled "Architecting your application for multiple devices" at http://http://www.adobe.com/newsletters/inspire/march2011/articles/...

Jonathan talks about creating mobile application logic (etc) in a common swc library that different Views for various mobile devices would then include in their device-specific swf. There is a graphic that shows the device-specific swf context extending/inheriting the swc "base" context. Jonathan states to use events to communicate across the MVCS layers of the app, which includes the swc "base" context for the command and model logic.

My questions are:

(1) Does this "base" context in the swc and the context of the swf require Joel's modular RL utility? If so, can anyone please provide some code examples how to set this up since the swc and the device-specific swfs are NOT modules. (There are plenty of examples on-line for actual modules and the shell application.)

(2) If #1 is "NO" to the modular utility, can someone please give examples of how to configure and communicate between the context of the swc and the context of the swf.

This is my first real venture into using / needing multiple RL contexts. And my first dive into mobile app development. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Steve

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ondina D.F. on 02 Apr, 2012 09:23 AM

Hey Steve,

take a look at Jonathan Campos’ Code for his book Flex Mobile In Action:
    https://github.com/jonbcampos/Flex-Mobile-In-Action (lots of good stuff there!)

Library Project: RottenTomatoesBaseContext

Mobile App: RottenTomatoesContext

You can see how he uses a BaseContext:
    RottenTomatoesContext extends RottenTomatoesBaseContext

HTH
    Ondina

2. 2 Posted by Steve on 03 Apr, 2012 12:45 AM

Hi Ondina -

Thanks very much for these links. They appear to be exactly the reference I need! I'm looking forward to Jonathan's book.

I'm a huge RL fan. Can't imagine doing a Flex / AS3 app without it.

-Steve

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ondina D.F. on 04 Apr, 2012 03:43 PM

You’re welcome, Steve!

Can't imagine doing a Flex / AS3 app without it.

Ditto.
    Ondina

4. Ondina D.F. closed this discussion on 04 Apr, 2012 03:43 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac