Compiling robotlegs source with pure AS3 setting

matej

02 Jul, 2013 08:41 AM

Is there a way to make robotlegs compileable from source with new adobe sdk, since not all are using flex?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Shaun Smith on 02 Jul, 2013 11:58 PM

There are problems with Adobe's ASC2 compiler. If it was just a matter of converting a couple of x ||= y statements then we could do that. Unfortunately it is more complicated than that.

There are a number of perfectly valid instructions that the new compiler currently "chokes" on. Some are caught at compile time... but others only manifest at runtime, and this puts us in a very difficult spot.

If we could run our unit tests using ASC2 we'd be OK because the tests would exercise all the code in our library and catch any runtime problems. But, as far as I know, using Flex Unit forces the code to compile with the old MXMLC compiler.

On top of all that, I can not seem to get my licence for FB 4.7 - it is supposed to be a free upgrade, and I have valid licences for all previous versions of Flash Builder Premium, but Adobe never get back to me when I fill out the form and I have no idea how to resolve the situation.

To sum it up: there is a lot of work involved in making sure Robotlegs compiles into valid bytecode using ASC2, and without a copy of FB4.7 this is hard for me to do.

There is an issue on GitHub with some more background info: https://github.com/robotlegs/robotlegs-framework/issues/111

BTW: all of this only matters if you want to compile the Robotlegs source code yourself for some reason. The official, release SWC works just fine in plain AS3 (non-flex) projects compiled with ASC2.

2. 2 Posted by matej on 03 Jul, 2013 07:13 AM

Thanks for the information.

Matej Šimunić
    Developer

GV3 UX

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
    Note: Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message and may be subject to legal privilege.
    Access to this e-mail by anyone other than the intended is unauthorised.
    If you are not the intended recipient (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not use, copy, distribute or deliver to anyone this message (or any part of its contents ) or take any action in reliance on it.

3. Ondina D.F. closed this discussion on 03 Jul, 2013 02:35 PM.

4. matej re-opened this discussion on 24 Jul, 2013 04:34 PM

5. 3 Posted by matej on 24 Jul, 2013 04:34 PM

Is there a way I could help with this issue, because I like to have my robotlegs as source module inside my app, so that I can debug into code and just change branches on Git to update
    Matej Šimunić
    Developer

GV3 UX

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
    Note: Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message and may be subject to legal privilege.
    Access to this e-mail by anyone other than the intended is unauthorised.
    If you are not the intended recipient (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not use, copy, distribute or deliver to anyone this message (or any part of its contents ) or take any action in reliance on it.

6. Support Staff 4 Posted by Shaun Smith on 24 Jul, 2013 08:47 PM

Hi Matej,

You certainly could! If you fork the codebase you can start fixing things that break the ASC2 compiler, followed by errors that manifest at runtime when RL2 is actually compiled with ASC2. As long as you rebase (to keep the history nice and linear) we can review and pull those commits into master.

7. Ondina D.F. closed this discussion on 30 Aug, 2013 07:55 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac