MDI best practices

Anggie Bratadinata

22 Mar, 2011 02:34 PM

Hi all,

I'm wondering about best practices in developing MDI apps.
How mediators, commands and models created & talk to each other? I'm thinking about making a mediator for the document container and one application model to hold an array of document models.

I've been using RL in several projects but I've never done an MDI app.

Thanks a ton in advance.

1. 1 Posted by Stray on 22 Mar, 2011 03:29 PM

Just checking - MDI as in Multiple Document Interface?

Is this an air app - will there be genuinely separate windows? Or are your views pseudo-windows?

Other than the few workarounds required with truely separate windows (search around the forum for lots of good threads around that) I can't think that it's any different to how I would do normal Robotlegs.

The only extra option would be to treat each Document Window as a newly spawned Module, with its own context. That might simplify things a fair bit inside each individual module, with the trade-off of the extra load of doing a modular app.

I have a multi-screen app which our clients use for editing complex data. I treat each editing screen as a separate module - and it works nicely.

Hope that helps,

Stray

2. 2 Posted by Anggie Bratadin... on 22 Mar, 2011 04:02 PM

"MDI as in Multiple Document Interface?"

yes, that MDI.

"Or are your views pseudo-windows?"

Yes, pseudo windows in a flex app.

"The only extra option would be to treat each Document Window as a newly spawned Module, with its own context. That might simplify things a fair bit inside each individual module, with the trade-off of the extra load of doing a modular app."

Ah, yea, i kept forgetting that i can have multiple contexts.
    That's a good idea. Thanks man.

3. Stray closed this discussion on 24 Mar, 2011 11:55 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac